How to start your business in 12 steps
- You want to make sure you prepare thoroughly before starting a business, but realize that things will almost certainly go awry. To run a successful business, you must adapt to changing situations.
- Conducting in-depth market research on your field and the demographics of your potential clientele is an important part of crafting a business plan. This involves running surveys, holding focus groups, and researching SEO and public data.
- Before you start selling your product or service, you need to build up your brand and get a following of people who are ready to jump when you open your doors for business.
- This article is for entrepreneurs who want to learn the basics steps of starting a new business.
Tasks like naming the business and creating a logo are obvious, but what about the less-heralded, equally important steps? Whether it’s determining your business structure or crafting a detailed marketing strategy, the workload can quickly pile up. Rather than spinning your wheels and guessing at where to start, follow this 10-step checklist to transform your business from a lightbulb above your head to a real entity.
How to start a small business
- Refine your idea
- Write a business plan
- Assess your finances
- Determine your legal business structure
- Register with the government and IRS
- Purchase an insurance policy
- Build your team
- Choose your vendors
- Brand yourself and advertise
- Grow your business